Saturday 6 June 2015

Recovering from an Abdominal Myomectomy Procedure Pt 1 (or, Waiting Room Blues)

                                                                                    


On The Day of the Op..

                                                                                      Image: http://www.subodh.com

Nil by Mouth from What Time?
The only key advice I would give for your op day is take careful note of what time you need to stop eating and drinking. My admission time was 11am, I was advised to have a light breakfast by 6am and I was able to drink water up to 10am.



Admission is a Slooooooow Process..

1.    Be prepared to answer the same questions, over and over again in the pre-op sessions with a variety of professionals.
 
2.    Don't forget to take with you, any medication you use regularly so they can double-check that none of it will conflict with anaesthesia or any of the pain medication they administer in the hospital.
 
3.    Take whatever you need to pass the time, I took my mini iPad and charger so I had the choice of reading on the Kindle or playing games while I waited. I was at the hospital for more than 4 hours before actually being wheeled through to the op room. There are many pre-op checks (pregnancy, blood pressure levels, heart rate, ECG etc), but each takes no more than 5 - 10 minutes before you're deposited back in the waiting room. At some point, an anaesthetist will meet you to go though the type of anaesthesia applicable to you, answer any questions or concerns you may have, and ask questions on your medical history including any previous operations.
  



Immediate Recovery
Immediate recovery was a blur. My op was longer than planned and I came to quite late in the day.

My anaesthetist had explained the self-administering morphine button before I went under (also known as the PCA - patient controlled analgesia, a handheld device which you press every time you want to give yourself a dose of the pain killer). I was reminded how to use it as I came to, and my night began. I was monitored heavily that first night due to complications during surgery so my sleep was regularly interrupted by tests, but with anaesthesia still in my system along with the morphine, I was out for the count as soon as each test was complete, sometimes before the nurses were finished!



Thanks for reading! Please do comment below with your own experiences!


Next post on this topic “Hospital Days, or OUCH! Zzzzzzz.OUCH! Zzzzzzz..” 


Further Reading

British Fibroid Trust 
























No comments:

Post a Comment