Tuesday 12 April 2016

You should wear... more often..


People are strange.

People say strange things.


I doubt, if asked to explain their comments, they could even tell you why..

I've been thinking this week about the comments we (I'm going to say 'women', for the sake of argument), recieve on a regular basis about items of clothing,  hairstyles, colours etc that we choose to wear.

Admittedly I have no idea  how often other women recieve the type of comments I'm talking about, perhaps it's just me?!

So.. what I'm NOT talking about are random compliments, which are welcome. 'You look nice in that dress', that colour really compliments your skin tone (as a Black woman, it's more likely I would hear that than the equivalent 'the colour you're wearing brings out the colour of your eyes). As I said, these compliments are fine and welcome.

There are a different class of 'compliments' that recieve my raised eyebrow, "oh, I like your hair down" (said on a day when my hair is up), often followed with "you should wear your hair down more often".

Really?

The tone of disappointment in the commenting individuals voice leads me to my stock standard response;

"I'm not taking requests."


As an avid people watcher, I'm often observing details in clothes and accessories worn by people I see on a regular basis.  And yes, in my mind I have 'favourite things' I like to see them in, I will sometimes say things like 'I do like the colour of those shoes on you', but would I be so bold, on a day you're wearing a DIFFERENT pair, to point out my preference?  Am I not indirectly saying


'what you are wearing, does not please me, I suggest you make an effort to comply to my preferences in the future.'?


ER.. who am I?  Why would you care to please me? Why am I SO bold as to claim any level of ownership of your overall look?

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment